Saturday, May 10, 2008

First email from France (Vitrolles)



4.15.08

Ok, first thing is that the keyboard is different here so i might mess up a lot. The and q are switched then the w and z and the m and , so weird, ahh but everything is great. I’m doing so good. I mean I can't speak very well, I do ok though, its getting better every day I think. The main thing is I can’t understand what the other people are saying they all speak so fast. We’re in this computer cafe and they have on the Simpsons in French, it’s so funny. ha Vitrolles is sweet -its amazing. I love it. Our members are amazing- they were so excited when they saw us. They haven’t had missionaries in like 3 or 4 months. They didn’t know we were coming so it was sweet. They are pretty laid back, like the bishope didn’t have his top shirt buttoned and his tie was all loose...how it should be everywhere! But they all have people for us to teach. They were saying like yeah we have friends who want to be members- doesn’t get better than that. There is like 70,000 in the city with a big -its hard to explain -like a circle cliff shooting up in the middle of the city with a castle on top. Elder Clyde is sweet, he’s from Alaska. It was so weird when we left just our whole MTC district and went to different parts. Oh this is real important- did we ever get the notary thing that sais that the church will take care of my finances ever? That is very important. I might email you again soon I’m not sure. Look on a map at the lake with Vitrolles by it. Our area is all around that lake. We went to Viello yesterday and talked with a sweet member family, well just Flo and Justin were home so we just talked to them for a long time then taught them the first lesson for practice. In France when you turn 25 the government will pay for you to have a little apartment and money to live so in Vitrolles we have like 20 just high rise apartments and people just chill in the parks all day. Then the kids have 2 weeks in school then 2 weeks off so right now they are just chillin everywhere too. There is always bunches of Muslim kids that hate us at first then we talk to them for a while then we’re cool. So we don’t have an apartment in Vitrolles now so we live in Marsaille which is a big city. It takes forever to get parking every night. I’ve seen 4 trucks since I have been here so that’s different. They really have only small cars. They have the smart cars that I swear that me and Clyde could pick up. There is like sweet statues everywhere on the train ride from Toulouse. We saw a few castles that was sweet. Sunday they had us get up and say a little stuff in sacrament. I said a few things then I’m like" je pens que je besoin de travailler dans mon accent un peu" -or " i think that i need to work on my accent a little." They were all laughing- it was great. Elder Clyde has been here for 6 months so he speaks really good. We ate kabobs the other day. It's like a fast food but they just have this big chunk of meat that’s spinning out in the front and you order and they scrape some meat off and put it with fries in a wrap thing with sauce. The meat is veal which was really good. We ate with some members Sunday for lunch. They have a son on a mission in Canada now so they were way nice. But we ate couscous -it's an Arab dish kind of like rice. They eat so slow here, but were only supposed to sit for an hour or so. Just so were not there for 4 hours. They said on Christmas they can eat for like 8 -that’s so crazy. They made it obvious that they thought the one hour rule was stupid. We're about to go play soccer everyone does here. The bishope has a big soccer trophy in his office. ha They all listen to the popular American music here- it's weird cause they don’t understand any of it. Not as many speak English as I thought. We teach English classes at the church every Thursday. We have found alot of people to come already. That should be interesting ha Our clerk at church pretty much lives there, every time we go to the church he is there with his kids. Yesterday he was sleeping in his car when we showed up and his 3 girls were inside watching a movie. It was funny but different. His girls are sweet- they got us a bunch of flowers the other day. The weather is perfect. It's sunny but not hot with a little wind and its been like that since I got here. President Merrell and his wife have a really nice house. We slept there the first night before we knew where we were going. We were playing ping pong; there is also a ping pong table at the church so hopefully we bust that out soon- I need to put that paddle to work. I don’t really need anything I have so much stuff. The only think I can think of is find me 3 hackeysacks to juggle. The only place I can think would have them is like Hot Topic in the mall. I’m gonna be an expert I can feel it. Tell everyone I said what’s up. Keep looking for ties. I’ll try to get you some pics. I’m just trying to get settled first. I still don’t have euros but today I will transfer my cash over. I have the credit card from the church though so that’s cool. That’s about it I don’t know about that notary if its real important ill get in touch with you. We should be moving to Vitrolles pretty soon but then we probably wont have a car so that will suck with so much area to cover. President Merrell told Elder Clyde that the members said that they didn’t want missionaries unless they were gonna be serious so that’s kinda cool that he sent me. That’s sweet that Calder got the job. ha That’s funny I was watching that stupid airplane go across the map, too. I swear it never moved. OK well that’s about it. So I’ll email you next week I guess. Hey make sure that everyone gets this email. Tell Eric or someone to send it to Brett somehow. I bet Clay has his address. I don’t have time now. And Jenny, tell them to write me later.

Love y’all, Taylor

2 comments:

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I am a notary if you need one.

Cathleen said...

I love the "fresh eyed, Everything is so new" perspective.He's very descriptive, it is like being there...wonderful narrative. I look forward to reading more.