Tuesday, November 4, 2008

30th email from France (Cannes bound)

Hey everyone, how’s it going? So I guess you would like to know where I’m going. I’m emailing you from Marseille but in a few hours I’ll be chilling in Cannes (kan),which I’m very excited about! I escaped the twilight zone one more time. So Cannes- everyone’s been telling me it’s about the prettiest place in the mission. It’s pretty much the French Riviera at its finest. I’ve heard it’s quite a rich town just outside of Nice. I’m really, really excited. I’ll be with Elder Monson. I don’t really know him but I’m sure it will be great. Also, I’ve heard our apartment is one of the best in the mission. We’ll be living with 2 other guys, Elder Kelley and Parker. I know Elder Kelley from when he was in Aix and I’ve heard from a lot of people that Elder Parker is really cool. Also there is Soeur Dawn from the mtc who is in our ward, so it should be really good. I’m not sure how that’s going to work with 6 of us in a ward but I’m excited. Elder Calder is going to Toulouse right now to pick up his ‘bleu’ or greenie so the ward here was pretty excited to get another young one. I really liked serving with him. We had a lot of fun. There was a branch that closed called Antibes so I think we will be working with their old amis a little but I’m not sure. I know it’s not a super big city so I hope there’s enough stuff for us to do. It’s a whitewash too. Elder Monson was in St. Raphael before so he doesn’t know the area either. I’m sure that will be fun getting around for the first few weeks! Another good thing is- that puts us in range for preparation day Monaco trips! So we’ll see if that works out. I would love to go there. I’ve seen some pictures of it and it looks amazing. The last few days we’ve just been running around saying bye to people so it’s been really good. Sunday was good, they called me up first to talk in sacrament so that was cool. You'll like this one funny thing that happened this week- The other night we had an rv with Robert but it was raining super hard. We were in our apartment and not really feeling like walking over to his house in the pouring rain. Just then, he called to see if he could come get us so that was really cool. We were just kind of waiting by our window to see when he got there. So finally a car comes up and stops so were like ok he’s there and we get all of our stuff and run out. We go down our stairs and Elder Calder goes to the front door and I go in the back seat. So as Elder Calder’s running around I jump into the back seat and close the door. The first thing I hear is this old lady yelling "c'est qui" or ‘who is it’. So I look up and see it’s not Rob! It’s this old couple so I’m like ohhhh and jump back out of the car. Then I realized I should probably explain something so I open the door and say “I thought you were someone else” and ran back into our apartment so that was pretty funny. Then when Rob came a few minutes later Elder Calder could not stop laughing! It’s interesting how much French people care about our elections. That’s all they want to talk about. We were eating with this family last night and the husband just wanted to talk about that and his wife kept getting aggravated. He was explaining that maybe we’re not supposed to talk about politics with other people but with members it’s fine. It was pretty funny. I enjoyed it. Everyone here wants Obama to win but I guess we’ll find out soon enough. That’s really sweet that Evan made the basketball team. Is it because he’s really tall or did he find some cordination skills other than in his fingers for computer games? How often do they practice? Is it still Coach F.?
Yes, we have daylight savings here. It’s ok I guess but it messes us up because it gets dark later. It’s really hard to get around. The busses stop sooner. There isn’t anyone outside and it’s getting colder so that doesn’t help any. The members were really happy that I’m going to Cannes- not for me to leave- but just because the town is so cool and the ward. It will be a good place to be for Christmas. Someone told me that she thought it was good that I started in Vitrolles because it can only get better. But I totally disagree, I love it here. Also there are a lot of activities there so a lot of people said they would be there often and will see me. All the youth have something there this Saturday so hopefully I’ll get to see some of them. Leticia actually told me “your lucky your going to see all the celebrities”. I doubt it but we’ll see. Maybe I’ll get to teach some of them.
Today was really cool because Marseille is such a huge station for the trains. There were about 12 missionaries there and we just chilled for a while and talked about who’s going where and all that. Apparently Muslims don’t have Halloween so there wasn’t really anything going on. There were a few kids walking around but nothing too big. Some of our amis told us they knocked on our door but I guess we weren’t there. My foot is fine, don’t worry about it- thanks for worrying though.
I have a quest for Whitney go on my space or face book whatever and find me B. F.’s email address. He lives in Shreveport. Do a friend request if you have to become and ask. Please try and don’t forget I really really want it. So Christmas is coming up. I really think you need to send whatever your sending pretty soon. I’m not sure if the Christmas zone conference is before or after Christmas but if it is after I won’t have the stuff until after Christmas so if you send it now I should get it for this zone conference and have it for Christmas day. I really don’t know what I want just money I guess. I’ve been thinking about buying a coat thing and some shoes, we’ll see. Everything else is good. Oh send me Jell-O- that doesn’t exist here and people are amazed by it. Every time they’re just like ‘ohhh it moves’. We’ve been doing that then teaching a little thought about having a firm foundation. It works out pretty well. Ok well, I’m going but thanks for everything. I’ll tell you how Cannes is next week! Love y’all, Taylor

No comments: