Tuesday, November 25, 2008

33rd email from France (Cannes)

First thing is that I got finally got your letter! Thanks for that. Hey everyone, I guess your getting ready to leave for Arkansas. That’s cool. Tell everyone hey for me. We had a pretty good week here just normal stuff. Time is passing by really fast- it’s incredible. Today we went shopping and I found a Dr. Pepper for the first time since I got here so that was pretty exciting! Elder Kelley and Parker left for Toulouse today so are alone for a few days. Nothing too much is going on. I know I was complaining about always being gone before but now I really miss it. It’s pretty hard just to work in the same place every day. We have to really work hard to find stuff to do especially because we don’t go to the other towns around here. The others do because they have the car so were just here in centre ville all day. Finally Thursday we’ll be heading to Marseille for the zone conference. I’m really, really excited to see everyone. I talked to Elder Calder on the phone the other night. He seemed to be doing well with his greenie. Also, there’s going to be someone from the 70 there- Elder Kipishika, I think. So I’m sure it’s going to be really good- different, though, because it’s going to be in English. We haven’t had any meetings or anything in English for a long time, since President Merrill, so well see how that goes. Our week was pretty normal. Sunday was good. They had the primary program just like ours, they sang and gave little talks. It was really funny- they other elders have this ami that’s been coming to church for a few months now and they asked her to come thinking about the question if she needs to be baptized. So one of the little kids was giving his little talk in-between songs and he said something like”… we’re only baptized once to show we have faith in Jesus…”- and this lady like everyone in France, was already baptized Catholic. So Elder Kelley and Parker were all like “ahh- I hate that little kid- why didn’t he say we’re only baptized once by the authority restored by Joseph Smith??? haha So we’ll see what happens there. We finally got our cell phone last night so that’s pretty exciting. Now we’ll be able to call people and fix stuff. Before, it was pretty hard to manage. I still like Cannes a lot. This week there has been a huge real estate convention so there has been people all over from all over so that was pretty cool. I think we’re going to do some more shopping today- just looking around. Here the word for window shopping is lèche vitrines or “window licking”. Last Tuesday we found this shop with cell phones that cost about 10 thousand dollars. I’m not sure why but they do. Oh, tell Jacob that CTR in French is CLB- choisir le bien. Why did he ask? Thanks for the pictures and card. Whitney would fit in perfectly in Cannes with those huge sun glasses. Everyone here is obsessed with Bob Marley too! Lots of kids have little man purses with his face on them and in Vitrolles one of our friends had a dog named after him! I never though his pic would end up in our house but whatever. What kind of stuff is Evan playing on the guitar? Yesterday we met the chillest old guys ever. They were on the south beach and every day they assemble themselves at the same place to feed old bread to two ducks. We sat with them for a while and talked. There’s 3 of them and they all come on bike and have been doing it for years. So if we’re ever bored around 3 o’clock we’ll head down there with em.
Hey, this is for Dad. I forgot to answer the questions but I don’t have a lot of time. There are a lot of fish markets and there is lots of fresh fish in the stores. Today they had a big shark just cut up. I think it’s just whatever they catch. They’re super crazy about soccer. I really like it a lot more now. Everyone even here in Cannes, likes the OM Marseille team even more than the Nice team. I saw the Seahawks playing on TV in a bar the other day- from the street of course- but that is the first NFL I’ve seen in a while! President Carter did away with the English class. Everyone was pretty bummed. Some of the bigger cities had like 15 students every week. Let me know what’s up! OK, bye again! Love y’all, Taylor

2 comments:

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I am still so amazed at how much Taylor types for someone who rarely said anything. HAHA...He seems to be doing wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Good idea, but will this really work?