Thursday, July 3, 2008

Twelth email from France (Vitrolles)


Hey, how’s it going? Pretty good here! Sorry I haven’t emailed earlier. We have had so much stuff to do but yeah I'm still in Vitrolles which is ok I guess. I really though I was going to get transferred though. But I'm happy to be here, were working with so many different amis and members- we have like 30 people that we see every week. This last p- day we went to Salon de Provence to play basketball with Joris, this cool kid. He’s not a member but his mom is so we see him a lot. It was a lot of fun but we missed our bus and didn’t get back until we had just enough time to change and go to our rendez vous. It was with Leticia and Sonya. We asked Latitia to be baptized on her birthday, the 30 and she is thinking about it. She said she would tell us Sunday. She is ready though. Yesterday was really fun, too. We had a wedding. It was Elodie Fernandez. I probably have talked about her before, the girl that served her mission in England. She wasn’t working for the last three weeks so she taught with us like every other day. She is really cool and nice. The wedding was good. It was at the town hall but we didn’t get to go to that part just the reception. I was kind of bummed because I though we would go. We went to the church at 12 to help set up for everything after but there was just to much stuff to do before everyone came. But like her good friends didn’t go either it wasn’t like they just left the missionaries to do all the work. The reception was good -there were a lot of people there. Here in France for weddings the whole wedding party makes a big train through town and honks their horns so we knew when they were coming. Elodie and Fabio, her husband, had a rented Ferrari they were driving. It was sweet. She will go to the Swiss temple today then move with him to Chicago. I was sad when she left though. She told me to have a good life. I mean its not good to get attached to the members but when I first got here she’s the only one I could talk to cause she knew English. But I got some pictures. It was a good day. We didn’t do much missionary work but did lots of service. Everything else is good. I guess were all set with President Carter. We will have our zone conference the 9th so I can’t wait to meet him. Oh yeah- I had to give a 12 minute talk in church last Sunday on repentance. I thought it went well and people were saying it was good. I was nervous though. I think we might have to buy some bikes. I don’t know if I want to- I don’t think its really necessary but we will see. They have this big sale twice a year, the soldes, so if we can find some cheap ones. Did you know that gypsies really exist? Yeah they’re gitons here but just like all the evangelical spaniards they go on these huge tours each summer to hold church services. They’re really nice, laid back people. I saw there caravan parked in this huge field the other day. I just thought that was interesting. What have you sent me just so I will know if I'm getting anything at zone conference. So summer is in full swing here- it’s kind of depressing- everyone is at the beach or swimming but whatever. How’s the new missionary in Sulphur? That’s cool that ivy’s coming. Have you seen any of my friends? Who's been asking about me. It's getting hotter here too. I would rather here than back home, it's not so humid. I'm doing fine but Clyde is dying. Our apartment is hot at night. There isn’t an air conditioner but then almost no one has them here. We have this African ami and we see her like every Sunday night. She always gives us this drink she makes. I'm not sure what it really is but she makes it with this special type of flower. It's really good but it just leaves this strong nectar after taste. It makes me feel like a bee. Well what else do y'all have planned? I guess Whitney is in San Antonio now. That should be cool. Thanks for the newspaper clip with Shannon- yeah I enjoyed reading that. Keep sending pictures and whatever. I don’t really need anything. Also, the French is coming along very good. I think people can for the most part understand me and my comprehension is getting a lot better. That’s the hardest thing but it's hard for them cause of my American accent. Its slowly changing though but yeah everything is good. I guess I'll email y'all again Tuesday. Oh, how is the election going. Everybody loves to talk about that!

Love y'all, Taylor

1 comment:

Cathleen said...

I love to get his perspective on the cultural differences. Reading each week also is great because you can see the progression and the comfort with his surroundings increasing. Glad for him that the language is coming along. What a brave young man! I so admire the missionaries! They are awesome! Once again, thanks for sharing!!