Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Eleventh email from France (Vitrolles)


Hey, how’s everything going? Sorry I didn’t email you yesterday, we didn’t have time. Everything is good though. Lots has been going on. First of all two nights ago we got a call from out zone leaders saying that for preparation day they wanted to go on a day hike thing in Aix en Provence to Mt. St. Victoire so we decided to do that. We went in the morning. Me and Elder Clyde had to go early so we ran all the way to our bus station at like 7:00. It’s over a mile and we didn’t even stop so I was already pretty tired. Then when we got there we met Elder Hanson and Kelly then Soeur Oliver and Djimi, her companion. We got on this line of busses going to the mountain. It was really fun. We didn’t know really what trail to start on so we just headed up kind of making our own trail. We had some of the amis from aix en provence with us. There were two guys then a 12 year old from a member family. We hiked for like an hour and a half to this spot then just kind of chilled for a while. Pascal and then other ami had to work so they just walked down where we came up but since it wasn’t really a trail we decided to keep going till we found a better way down. We kept walking then decided to just keep on going along the ridge till the summit which wasn’t to bad of an idea. We were on a really good trail by this time. We didnt know really where we were but we could see the town where the bus could pick us up on the other side so we just set a goal to make it there then head back. The only problem was that we had no idea how long it was. I knew it wasn’t going to be just a little walk but whatever, I figured we could do it. We ended up getting on this trail with like chains to hold onto mounted into the rock and just like steep “almost Colorado” stuff. It was really fun though but why I’m emailing today is cause it took us 8 hours or something like that. Really all day we walked really far. It was okay though just took a lot of time. I took a lot of good pictures I’ll send y’all. The town we ended up in had Picasso’s castle so that was cool (I think anyways, that’s what people told us- look it up on Google, its cool). I heard Missouri got flooded right after you left. I’m glad y’all weren’t there for all that- but that’s just what someone told me. The fete de music was this last week- the big Vitrolles party was right outside our apartment. It looked so fun, there were so many people there around this big community bonfire. We walked through all the crowds when we were coming back to our apartment. Then I cut Elder Clyde’s hair that night so he took a shower and I was dancing around our kitchen cooking some cous cous. Then I ate on our window sill and was talking to all the people walking by. They had loud music playing pretty much all night. It was cool but the only thing is almost all of our amis partied to hard and couldn’t come to church the next day. We had the last district meeting for this transfer last week and President Merrill and his family were all there. It was really good, it lasted for like 5 hours instead of 2, but it was really good. He talked about the importance of keeping the Sabbath day holy. He had a lot of good stories and examples then Soeur Merrill took us home cause we missed all the busses. This transfer is almost over. I think I might go. The word is that Elder Clyde might train someone else to take his spot as district leader for the next transfer. So we’ll see what happens. I read the story today that you sent about the Marignane airplane pilot. Yeah I know Serge Portellano. I talked about him in the last email cause he’s one of the only families who feeds us and his son Raphael is the one that baptized Barbara. They’re a really cool family and yeah I see those big water planes all the time. They are bright yellow. They have a big one right in the middle of town so that’s cool. Why the heck were you on ldscops.com? haha I figured you ran across it trying to find a picture of the chapel and yeah that’s the right one. So that’s us in Vitrolles- everything is good. I’m fried from yesterday so the back of my neck and legs hurt so bad from being in the sun for so long yesterday but no problems. Well I have to go but I’ll email you next week- maybe I’ll be in another town. Love y’all, Taylor

No comments: